|Traded as||NYSE: EGHT|
S&P 600 Component
|Industry||Cloud-based Business Communications Services|
|Vikram Verma (CEO) |
Bryan R. Martin (Chairman, CTO)
Hosted Contact Centers
|Revenue||$296.5 million (FY2018)|
Number of employees
8x8 Inc. is a provider of Voice over IP products. 8x8 products include cloud-based voice, contact center, video, mobile and unified communications for businesses.
8x8 was founded in 1987 by Dr. Chi-Shin Wang and Dr. Y. W. Sing formerly of Weitek as Integrated Information Technology, Inc., or IIT. The name was changed in the early 1990s. According to the company, IIT began as a chip designer. The company produced coprocessors for microprocessors as well as graphics accelerator chips for the personal computer market during the late 1980s. The company later changed its name to 8x8 and began producing products for the videoconferencing market.
8x8 went public on the NASDAQ market in 1997. The company moved their trading to NYSE in 2017, under the ticker symbol EGHT. In 1999, 8x8 acquired two companies, Odisei and U|Force, to acquire network and server VoIP technologies.
In March 2000, 8X8 relaunched itself as a VoIP service provider under the name Netergy Networks. The company changed its name back to 8X8 in July 2001. 8x8 began trading on the Nasdaq SmallCap Market on 26 July 2002.
Gartner has listed 8x8 several times as a Leader for UCaaS (Unified Communications as a Service) within its Magic Quadrant, a series of technology market reports. 8x8 has been awarded 128 patents related to semiconductors, computer architecture, video processing algorithms, videophones and communications technologies and security.
In May 2010, 8x8 acquired Central Host, a California-based managed hosting company. In June 2011, 8x8 announced the acquisition of Zerigo, a Colorado-based cloud services company. In September 2011, 8x8 acquired Contactual, a hosted contact center company. In 2013, 8x8 acquired UK-based Voicenet, a cloud services company.
In May 2015 8x8 acquired privately held UK-based DXI Ltd., a cloud-based contact center solutions vendor for $26 million in cash and stock. The following month, the company acquired assets of the privately held Quality Software Corp. (QSC) as well as two affiliated companies.
In July 2019, 8x8 acquired Wavecell, a CPaaS (communications platform as a service) provider.
- "8x8 grabs big new HQ space in Campbell, where it's slated to become the city's largest employer".
- "Not a Lot ocf Change in the Gartner UCaas Magic Quadrant 2018 - UC Today". uctoday.com. UC Today. Retrieved 4 November 2019.
- "CEO Vik Verma Leads 8x8 To New Heights". forbes.com. Forbes. Retrieved 4 November 2019.
- "8x8 Company Profile". Craft. Retrieved 27 September 2019.
- Daisy Chan, CNN Money, "Best New Gadgets", 1 December 2004
- Barker, Colin. "Next-generation VoIP: Connecting up communications silos with the cloud". ZDNet. Retrieved 5 November 2019.
- "Effective Marketing of VoIP Services". www.tmcnet.com. Retrieved 5 November 2019.
- "8x8 CEO on big ambitions, outgrowing its new HQ: 'The tide's about to hit and we are there'". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 5 November 2019.
- "FORM 10-K". United States SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION. 2007. Retrieved 21 January 2009.
- "EGHT.N - 8x8, Inc. Profile | Reuters". www.reuters.com. Retrieved 5 November 2019.
- "8x8 Completes Acquisition of IP Telephony Software Developer". Business Wire. 25 May 1999. Retrieved 21 January 2009.
- "NETERGY NETWORKS TO ACQUIRE UFORCE". Securities Exchange Commission. 23 May 2000. Retrieved 21 January 2009.
- News, Bloomberg (20 May 2000). "Company News; Netergy Networks to Purchase Closely Held Uforce". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 5 November 2019.
- "Technology Briefs". Wall Street Journal. 26 May 1999. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 5 November 2019.
- "8x8 changes name to Netergy Networks, focuses exclusively on voice over IP". EE Times. 3 March 2000. Retrieved 13 November 2019.
- "8X8 Inc" (PDF). SEC. Retrieved 13 November 2019.
- "8X8, inc" (PDF). Retrieved 13 November 2019.
- "8x8 Signs Agreement With TCS to Provide E911 Capabilities for All Packet8 Subscribers" (Press release). PR Newswire. 11 October 2005. Archived from the original on 14 October 2007. Retrieved 21 January 2008.
- Hart, Kim (19 July 2007). "For SunRocket Customers, Sounds of Silence". The Washington Post. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- "Not a Lot of Change in the Gartner UCaaS Magic Quadrant 2018". UC Today. 16 October 2018. Retrieved 4 November 2019.
- Narcisi, Gina (12 August 2019). "Gartner UCaaS Magic Quadrant: The Top 12 Vendors In 2019 As AT&T, Verizon And Others Are Dropped From Report". CRN. Retrieved 4 November 2019.
- "Patents Assigned to 8x8, Inc. - Justia Patents Search". patents.justia.com. Retrieved 5 November 2019.
- "8x8 Acquires Cloud Call Center Provider Contactual". www.destinationcrm.com. Retrieved 4 November 2019.
- "8x8 CEO Has a Tiger by the Tail". Insight for the Connected Enterprise. 7 February 2016. Retrieved 4 November 2019.
- "8x8 Goes on Acquisition Spree With $170M 'War Chest'".
- "Atlassian sells Jitsi, an open-source videoconferencing tool it acquired in 2015, to 8×8". TechCrunch. Retrieved 4 November 2019.
- Condon, Stephanie. "8x8 acquires Wavecell to expand cloud communications footprint". ZDNet. Retrieved 4 November 2019.